Introducing the Customs Declaration Service (CDS)
With the transition from the CHIEF system for imports to the new Customs Declaration Service (CDS) online system underway, there are many benefits businesses can look forward to. Since the CHIEF system ended on the 30th September 2022, businesses are now transferring all documents, applications and approval procedures to CDS. CDS software is highly secure and will cut down the time it takes to complete applications and other customs processes, as well as eliminating paper usage, and keeping all documents, records and applications organised in one place, making it easier for the team at RENSAT to help you complete customs clearance smoothly.
Requirements for CDS Transition
With the Customs Declaration Service officially in place, and available for use by businesses and import brokers like RENSAT, there are requirements that need to be met to proceed. Our consultants are here to guide you through these requirements, and ensure you transition smoothly. The steps your business need to take in advance are as follows:
Register for an EORI number
An Economic Operators Registration and Identification (EORI number) is essential for businesses to have this number to make customs declarations, apply for a customs decision, or appoint a consulting firm such as RENSAT to complete customs processes on your behalf.
Register for Government Gateway ID
To access your business’ tax account, you will need to obtain a Government Gateway ID. You need to access your tax account to proceed with customs declarations processes on CDS.
Obtain unique taxpayer reference
If you have a Limited company, you will have automatically received a unique taxpayer reference (UTR). This 10-digit number can be found on your past tax returns and other HMRC documents.
Subscribe to CDS
So that customs clearance brokers like RENSAT can complete and submit customs declarations on your behalf, you will need to subscribe to CDS using your Government Gateway ID. This allows you or someone else to submit import and export declarations, pay customs duty, and import VAT.
The Benefits of CDS
There are so many ways that the change to CDS is streamlining the customs declaration process for international trade. It’s highly flexible and intuitive, allowing all processes to be completed on a single platform.
– Time saving – With the CHIEF system, paper forms needed to be completed and sent by post. Now that all processes are completed online, approvals can happen much quicker, thanks to automation.
– Prevents fines and extra charges – with a more organised system, there is a reduced risk of delay, and losing track of important information, which can lead to extra charges. With notifications and reminders of due dates, you and your customs broker can stay on track, and avoid unnecessary fines.
– Keeps everything in one place – All the tools and resources you need for your customs declaration processes can be found in one place that can be accessed from a single dashboard. Payments, applications, authorisations and finance information are easy for you or your customs broker to track.
– Highly secure – With the latest Secure File Upload technology, you can complete your forms using the most advanced and secure software, so you know that your information is safe.
– Eliminates paper usage – The digital CDS platform is entirely sustainable, having eliminated the need for paper forms. As well as being better for the planet, it makes the system highly flexible and adaptable to a changing world.
How RENSAT uses CDS to help you
The team at RENSAT are fully integrated with the Customs Declaration System, and ready to undertake import and export clearance for goods transported by road and sea. We understand that changing to a new system can be complex and somewhat daunting for business owners.
As well as being knowledgeable about how CDS works, our team of specialist consultants are experts in the regulations and legal requirements around import and export of goods, so working with us will allow your business to transition to CDS with significantly less hassle than if you were to do so yourself. Plus, our consultants are there to keep you informed every step of the way.
Once you have registered with the new system, and provided your consultant with access to your platform, we can start completing your online forms. Plus, you can also access your dashboard to view our progress with your customs declarations at any time.
Completing declarations on CDS
There are some steps that must be taken by your business to get started on CDS with your customs declaration. We explain below how this works:
Step 1: As part of CDS, you have access to a deferment account. This allows you or your customs broker to make monthly direct debit payments, which is more effective than paying for individual shipments, if you are shipping regularly. To use an importer’s deferment account, you or your broker must first subscribe to CDS. To do so, you must use your Government Gateway ID and password.
Step 2: Once your subscription to CDS is finalised, you will then need to link your EORI number mentioned above to the authorisations in your financial dashboard.
Step 3: When you have generated your authorisation, you would need to send your broker a copy. CDS differs from CHIEF, as it now requires you to send the guarantee type and number.
Working with RENSAT can significantly reduce the disruption that switching to a new system can bring. In the long term, the Customs Declaration Service will offer a wide range of benefits, from security to better compliance and more efficient processes. Our team of consultants is highly experienced and knowledgeable about all aspects of import, export and international trade. As well as freeing up your time to focus on what matters to you, we can provide you with inside knowledge, keeping you informed every step of the way.
To find out more about our customs clearance services, click here.