ginfo( 'charset' ); ?>" /> Most Commonly Asked Questions to Us - Rensat


If you have some questions before you are ready to choose us as your customs broker, then we are ready to answer them!
Take a look at the most commonly asked questions below, and then get in touch to organise any customs clearance you need.

How Can I Pay My Import Duty and VAT?

To pay your import duty and VAT, you can choose use a deferment facility, PVA (VAT only) or a bank transfer through RENSAT. The PVA (Postponed VAT Accounting) facility has been in place in January 2021 and allows you to postpone your VAT so you can reconcile your VAT submissions to HMRC monthly or quarterly.

How Can I Request a Written Quote?

If you need a written quote for customs clearance, then simply get in touch via email or phone with your requirements, and we will be happy to supply you with a written quote.

Can You Tell Me What My Import Taxes Will Be?

To help you work out your Import Duty and VAT, we will need UK Tariff Code (or commodity code) and Country of Origin of the products. You can also find the answer by clicking here. You may also be able to pay less or zero duty for your goods are covered under the Preferential Trade Agreements – also mentioned in the Tariff Database!

You Say I Need an EORI Number – What is it?

An EORI number or Economic Operators Registration and Identification number is required if you move goods between England, Scotland, Wales, the Isle of Man to any other country. If you need to apply for an EORI number, then you can do so by clicking here. 

Where Can I Learn More About Custom Clearance Process for Import and Export?

f you need more information about imports and exports then take a look at the following links: 

Import goods into the UK: step by step – GOV.UK ( 

Export goods from the UK: step by step – GOV.UK ( 

What Documents & Information Do I Need to Prepare for Customs Clearance?

If you are looking for Import or Export Declarations, then the following list of information and documentation will be required: 

  • Invoice 
  • EORI Number  
  • Product Description 
  • Customs Tariff Codes  
  • Value of goods  
  • Incoterms 
  • CPC code (Reason for Export and Import) 
  • Certificates or Licences (if applicable) 
  • Shipping documents (Port of exit, Name of vessel, Flight number) 
  • Duty & VAT payment method, i.e. PVA, Deferment accounts details etc. 
  • Direct Representation Authorisation Letter

There may be other requirements depending on the country you are importing to or exporting from, but our team will ensure that you are fully aware of every requirement.

Do I Need an EU T1?

If your goods are going to pass through multiple countries on their journey, then you will need a T1. We can arrange this for you and will need the following information and documentation to do so: 

  • Office of departure 
  • Office of discharge 
  • Approximate timing of shipment 
  • Export Documents
  • Transport details 
  • Comprehensive Customs Guarantee (if available)
  • Direct Representation Authorisation Letter 
Do we need a Comprehensive Guarantee (CCG) to raise a T1 or T2?
Yes, RENSAT can raise T1 or T2 for a fixed fee using your own guarantee. If you are looking to apply for one you can do so here
If not RENSAT has guarantee in place and we can raise T1 or T2 using RENSAT’s guarantee, pricing of T1 or T2 is dependent on the guarantee amount needed. Please contact us with your requirements for pricing and further information. 
Do You Have a Checklist for the Customs Clearance Process for EU Trading?

There are a number of processes that need to be adhered to when trading with the EU. Here is a list of things that need to be in place to ensure the trade goes smoothly: 

  • Economic Operators Registration and Identification (EORI) 
  • UK Tariff/Commodity Codes 
  • Customs Procedure Codes (CPC – the reason for import/export) 
  • Export / Import Licence or any other Control 
  • Origin of the Product 
  • Commercial Invoice and Packing List 
  • Decide how to pay duty / VAT. 
  • Assign a Customs Broker
Can RENSAT Provide Direct Representation?

Yes, if you’d like us to be your Direct Representative, then all you need to do is sign an Authority – get in touch if you want to proceed with this, and we will supply you with an Authority letter to use.

How Long Does Customs Clearance Take?

The timeframe for each project is different depending on the requirement. We will aim to get the clearance completed within 24 hours. If you want a bespoke quote, then get in touch with our team today!

What can an ATA Carnet be used for?

An ATA Carnet is a globally accepted customs document which acts as a passport for goods being imported or exported through ATA countries. There are three main categories of goods: commercial samples, goods for presentation, and professional equipment. 

Commercial Samples- these include any goods which are being transported to be shown or demonstrated to potential buyers. 

Goods For Presentation- this includes any goods used for presentation at trade fairs, shows, and conferences. It also includes works of art which are being transported to be exhibited at galleries and museums. 

Professional Equipment- this includes any ‘tools and equipment required to perform a paid commercial activity abroad, goods for testing and evaluation, theatrical effects, orchestras, racing vehicles, broadcasting equipment, specially adapted vehicles etc), and horses for racing purposes, commercial shows or breeding.’ 

How many times can an ATA Carnet be used?

An ATA Carnet can be used as many times as necessary during the 1 year validity period. That means that you can ship your goods multiple times over the course of 12 months to any of the ATA countries specified in the itinerary. 

What countries can I use an ATA Carnet in?

There are many ATA countries throughout the world that accept the ATA Carnet. These include: 

Albania, Algeria, Andorra, Australia (including Tasmania), Bahrain, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Canada, Canary Islands (Spain), China, Chile, Cote d’Ivoire, European Union, Faroe Islands, French overseas departments and territories (Guadeloupe, Martinique, Guyane, and Reunion, New Caledonia and its dependents of Wallis and Futuna Islands, and French Polynesia (includes Tahiti) as well as St Barthelemy, St Martin, Mayotte and Saint Pierre et Miquelon), Gibraltar, Hong Kong, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iran, Israel, Japan, Kazakhstan, Korea, Republic of, Lebanon, Macao, Macedonia, Madagascar, Malaysia (territory also includes Kuala Lumpur, Sabah and Sarawak), Mauritius, Mexico, Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, New Zealand, Norway, Pakistan, Qatar, Russian Federation, Senegal, Serbia, Singapore, South Africa (territory also includes Botswana, Namibia, Swaziland and Lesotho), Spanish overseas territories of Ceuta and Melilla, Sri Lanka, Switzerland (territory includes Liechtenstein), Taiwan Thailand, Tunisia, Turkey, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, the USA, including the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico. 

What are the carnet requirements for specific countries and the EU?

Contact us with your specific needs and we will be happy to assist you and answer any questions you might have.

What is carnet security and why is it required?

Carnet security is security which must be provided to the issuing chamber and it must be ‘equal to the highest rate of duty and taxes applicable to the goods in any of the countries in the itinerary, and transit if applicable.’ This acts as a guarantee to the Customs of a foreign country into which your goods are being temporarily imported that all required duties, taxes, and other fees will be paid. 

Speed, Efficiency, Accuracy 

For the world’s best customs clearance solutions you need a company that is committed to making your job easier. From Import Declarations and Export Declarations, to EU Transit Documents and more, the team of experts at RENSAT is standing by to meet your needs and exceed your every expectation. Contact us today on +44 (0) 20 3556 1720 or via email at: